Russian has an untranslatable word, звездопад, invariably used in announcing high-level military promotions. It might be best translated as meteor shower. But when it comes to generals, admirals, and O-6s adding metal to their shoulderboards, star shower sounds better.
Late Thursday, President Putin provided a star shower via ukaz, and here are the results:
- RVSN Commander Sergey Viktorovich Karakayev and VVKO Commander Oleg Nikolayevich Ostapenko become General-Colonel (three stars).
- New Navy CINC Viktor Viktorovich Chirkov becomes Admiral (three stars).
- New Air Forces CINC Viktor Nikolayevich Bondarev becomes General-Lieutenant (two stars).
Looks like maybe the new high command team is locked into place for some time to come.
The other promotions:
- Commander of the 9th VKO Brigade Vladimir Aleksandrovich Korytkov and Chief of PVO Troops and Aviation for the Central MD Yevgeniy Nikolayevich Tuchkov become General-Major (one star).
- A Northern Fleet division commander Vladimir Mikhaylovich Vorobyev, Chief of Staff of the Northern Fleet’s Kola Mixed Forces Flotilla Vadim Franstevich Kulit, and White Sea Naval Base Commander Viktor Nikolayevich Liina become Rear-Admiral (one star).